Monday, May 25, 2020

Homemade Sausage - Gluten, Dairy, and Yeast Free

You may have noticed some recipes appearing on this blog labeled SCD/AIP.  Those, dear reader, are for me.  Before now all the recipes on this blog have been for the rest of my family.  Because of my issues, I haven't been able to eat any of them.

Every night, I cook dinner for my family and then cook a separate meal for myself.  Alas, I have decided to start including some of my recipes on this blog.

I have Lymphocytic Microscopic Colitis.  Essentially, food hates me, ha.  After being insanely sick for almost two years, despite taking almost every food group out, I finally decided to start the SCD diet.  This diet literally saved my life.  After tweaking it to my needs  - basically eating a combination of SCD and AIP - I have found what works best for me.  I eat a nut free version of SCD, and AIP with eggs successfully reintroduced.  There are plenty of things in both diets that I absolutely can not tolerate (like cruciferous vegetables) but . . .they have given me such an amazing framework for better health.

The list of foods I CAN eat is much shorter than the list of foods I CAN'T eat, but I am eternally grateful for these diets for giving me back life and health.

With that . . . I give you another SCD/AIP recipe! I ate these sausages (with a sliced avocado) for breakfast every single day for literally 1 year straight.  I never got tired of them.  After a year I was able to add eggs successfully back into my diet . . . but I still eat these sausages frequently!  They are SO good! I make a whopping huge amount then I freeze them and reheat as needed.  They work super well this way. 

Homemade Sausage - Gluten, Dairy, and Yeast Free 
9 lbs. ground turkey (ground pork works great as well)
2-3 cups chopped spinach 
3/4 c raw honey
4 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
2 Tbsp sage
4 1/2 tsp marjoram

Mix everything well (I use my hands). Chill for a few hours or overnight to let flavors meld. Form into patties, place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes, flip, then bake for 20 more minutes. 

Yum yum! 

No comments: