Monday, June 22, 2020

Favorite Chocolate Cake and Frosting - Gluten, Dairy, Grain, Nut and Sugar Free

My poor hubby had a slightly sub par Father's Day yesterday, but he never complained and said it was a fantastic day.  He's the absolute best.  
  
I am recovering from major surgery and am just a little over a week out from it.  So I was able to make him a delicious breakfast, but then I was out for the rest of the day.  He essentially made his own dinner and took care of the kids all day.  Happy Father's Day! 

But I did order my 14 yr old daughter to make this cake for him!  It turned out so yummy.  Like SO YUMMY.  Everyone truly raves and gushes over how good this cake is.  

My daughter looked at my handwritten recipe and said, "Um,  . . . what?" I have the recipe scribbled in chicken scratch on a paper, so I thought it was time to get it down here.  

And by the way, my highly skeptical 19 year old initially rejected this cake (before tasting it).  "What vegetable is in it? What kind of bean?" she queried.  I was aghast.  As though I would put a VEGETABLE or BEAN or SOMETHING WEIRD in chocolate cake!  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  

I told her it was safe.  She tried it.  She RAVED.  

Our new absolute FAVORITE chocolate cake: 

Favorite Chocolate Cake and Frosting - Gluten, Dairy, Grain, Nut and Sugar Free 

1/4 c. + 1/8  c. of olive oil (light in taste) 
3/4 c. honey 
1/2 c. + 1/8 c. cocoa 
3 eggs 
3/4 c. DF milk (use coconut for grain free, rice if tolerated) 
3/4 c. coconut flour 
3/4 c. arrowroot flour 
1/4 tsp. salt 
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda 
1 1/4. tsp. baking powder 

Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined.  Line two 8" or 9" circle pans with parchment paper and grease them.  Bake at 355* for 25 - 35 mins until toothpick comes out clean. 

This also woks great in a 12 X 5" casserole dish.  Bake at 355* for about 40 - 45 mins, until toothpick comes out clean.  

Frosting- Gluten and Dairy Free

2 c. of DF chocolate chips (if you use sugar free chocolate chips,  or carob chips, this will also be sugar free.  You may want to add a little honey in this case.) 
2/3 cup of coconut oil 
2 Tbsp. vanilla 

Melt chocolate chips and oil in small pot until smooth.  Add vanilla.  Put in fridge for 30 mins, or more, until getting solid.  Whip with blender until frosting consistency.  

YUM!!!!



Cake recipe adapted from here.   
Frosting recipe from here.  Elana's Pantry is the best source of recipes. 
So thankful for the recipe blogging world that makes things easier for us!  

No comments: