Thursday, June 4, 2020

Butternut Muffins - Gluten, Grain, Nut, Sugar and Dairy Free

I know that bread is the staff of life but I would argue that that includes muffins because  . . .  because, well, I basically eat muffins every day!  I can't manage bread too easily on my diet, because it is very difficult to make bread in the traditional sense with my restrictions.  But muffins?  

Give me muffins every day.  Even when I couldn't eat eggs I still made muffins constantly.  Love muffins! 

Butternut Muffins - Gluten, Grain, Nut, Sugar and Dairy Free 
1 c. of butternut squash puree (pumpkin works, if tolerated - we can not have pumpkin) 
3/4 c. honey 
8 eggs 
1/2 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg  
1/2 tsp. cloves 
1/2 tsp. ginger 
3/4 c. coconut flour 

For the butternut (or pumpkin) puree:  Cut open squash, scoop out seeds and strings, and roast, cut side up in 400* oven, with oil and salt sprinkled on top, for 1 hour.  When cools scoop out the squash, and blend in food processor until smooth and pureed. 

For the muffins:  Combine all ingredients.  Stir till well combined.  Let batter sit while preparing muffin pan, so the  flour can absorb all the liquid. Bake at 350* for 35-40 mins, until slightly browned.  

These freeze well, if you want to make lots and eat as needed.  
Enjoy! 

Recipe adapted from Comfy Belly.  Her recipes save me!!

No comments: