Thursday, February 18, 2016

Gluten Free Dairy Free Spaghetti

Growing up, my mom basically made all the food, but occasionally on Sunday's my dad would cook.  He had two specialties: spaghetti and mashed potatoes. 

They were delicious.  His spaghetti was full of meat and perfectly flavored.  His mashed potatoes, we often joked, were grey due to the enormous amount of pepper he would add.  But they were so good.  

Now, I make both and think of him often.  My spaghetti sauce is his same recipe . . . just with all the extra vegetables I can conceivably add.  'Cause you know me:  veggies for the win!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Spaghetti 
~1 lb of ground beef
diced onions
2 cans of stewed tomatoes (chop up the tomatoes a bit)
2  cans of tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 tsp oregano*
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp sugar*

Optional:  add these to sauce after browning the hamburger: 

chopped bell peppers, any or all colors
2 finely diced carrots
2 finely diced celery
chopped mushrooms (or canned)

(*My dad never measured these spices, so neither do I. Just add to your taste, or follow these amounts if it makes you feel better.)

***If you are going to make zucchini noodles, like we do, start them first so they will have time to "sweat". See directions below.***

Brown the ground beef.  Add all the veggies, if using, and cook until tender.  Add tomatoes and sauce.  Add spices.  Turn heat to low and simmer.

*Sugar is often added to tomato sauces, because it neutralizes the acid in the tomatoes.

We love to eat spaghetti with zucchini noodles.  The GF noodles available are not our favorite, but having zucchini noodles makes this meal perfect!

To make zucchini noodles: 
Grate zucchini's with a mandolin, or spirilizer
Place in colander to drain
Heavily salt
Allow zucchini to drain, or "sweat" for 20-30 mins


Enjoy! 

1 comment:

acte gratuit said...

I have happy memories of Uncle Mike! I'd love to try this recipe