Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Creamy Crockpot Chicken Potato Soup - Dairy and Gluten Free

When I first started eating dairy free I missed eating "creamy" things.  It's a feeling, I think, more than anything else.  You know:  that feel in your mouth of eating creamy things.  Odd, right?

So, when I started making soups dairy free and I wanted a creamy soup, I found I could blend up the potatoes and it would make a nice creamy base.  No cream, milk, butter, or anything!

It was a miracle! A dairy free diet miracle! 
It looks orange because I can't help but add all the veggies (carrots) I can find to any soup I make.  But it tastes just like normal potato soup. 

Creamy Crockpot Chicken Potato Soup - Dairy and Gluten Free
10 medium sized potatoes, unpeeled and diced 
4 c. chicken broth 
1 c. water
2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
small, diced onion (optional)
4-5 carrots, finely diced 
2-3 stalks of celery, finely diced 
2 c. cabbage, finely diced 
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper 
kale, finely diced

Add, all ingredients, except kale, to crockpot and cook on high for 4 1/2 -5 hours.  Remove the chicken and shred.  Before returning use an immersion blender in the soup and blend to desired creaminess.  (Alternately you can put the soup in your blender and blend it.)  I like to keep a few chunks, but make it pretty creamy.  Add the chicken back in.  Add the kale.  

Enjoy! 



No comments: