Sunday, October 4, 2015

Broth - Instant Pot and Crock Pot

EDIT: Instant Pot version below

Broth. The darling of the foodie world.  

But the fact remains:  it is a real food, that has been cooked for hundreds of years.  It has real food benefits. It is supremely more healthy than anything you can buy in the store and it's extremely easy to make. 

Plus, my kids hate broth from powders, cans and cubes. But they LOVE this broth. 

I make it regularly and use it in many, many recipes. 

Broth: 
1.  Place your bones (any kind, though I normally use chicken or turkey bones) in the crock pot 
2.  Add 2-3 celery stalks, washed and roughly chopped
3.  Add 3-4 carrots, washed and roughly chopped
4. Cover bones and veggies with water, until about 1 inch from the top of crock pot
5.  Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar 
6.  Cover the pot and set on low
7. Let cook at least 12 hours before using 
8.  Strain and use as needed 
9. Replace water after using it. Keep doing this until you are tired of it. 

*I often will keep this broth going for a week or so. I use it for dinners at night or just strain it all out and refill it and keep it going.  

*I divide it up into containers that I freeze and use as needed.  Just remember to keep space at the top of your containers for expanding in the freezer. 

*I use this broth for cooking soups, chili, or stews. I also use it for cooking rice or for sauces. 

EDIT
I have started making this broth in my instant pot.  I love it much more! It is simpler and produces a great broth.  I can get so much done in much less time.  It is the best! 

Instant Pot Broth 

1.  Place your bones (any kind, though I normally use chicken or turkey bones) in the Instant Pot
2.  Add 2-3 celery stalks, washed and roughly chopped
3.  Add 3-4 carrots, washed and roughly chopped
4. Cover bones and veggies with water to the maximum fill line
5.  Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar 
6.  Cook on "manual" for 120 mins.
7. I do two batches with this method, using the same bones, twice.
8. Use a natural release on the IP, letting the pressure come down naturally.

No comments: