Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Creamy Instant Pot Potato and Ham Soup - Gluten and Dairy Free


My oldest daughter had a friend that would eat at our house most nights during high school.  We loved having her.  

One time, my daughter told me that her friend had said, "I love everything your mom makes.  It's all so yummy.  The only thing I don't like is that potato soup!" 

Um.  Ok.  Duly noted! Ha ha ha.  

So I took that "suggestion" and made a new recipe! 

This one gets rave reviews from everyone who eats it, I promise.  

In fact, I was planning on some leftovers when I made this last and even doubled it to be sure.  Alas, my boys gobbled up every last bit of it and I was left with zero leftovers.  I guess that is a sign that the recipe is working! 

Creamy Instant Pot Potato and Ham Soup - Gluten and Dairy Free
2 sticks celery, diced  
1 small onion, diced
1-2 carrots, chopped
3-4 cups of diced potatoes (I leave the skins on) 
4 cups broth 
1 tsp. salt 
1/2 tsp. pepper
5 Tbs. of dairy free butter 
5 Tbs. GF flour
2 cups dairy free milk (I use rice milk)
2-3 cups of chopped ham 
1-2 c. diced spinach 


Add celery, onion and carrots to instant pot and use the saute function to cook until tender, about 5 mins. Add the potatoes, broth, and salt and pepper.  Cook on high pressure for 7 mins.  Release the pressure, then use an immersion blender to blend to desired consistency. (I make it creamy, but still a little chunky.) Meanwhile, melt your butter in a saucepan and then whisk the flour in to make a roux.  (Don't worry if it is a little chunky.) Change your instant pot back to saute and add the roux to the instant pot and whisk to blend.  Pour in the 2 c. of milk while whisking.  Stir till consistency you want.  If it is too thick, add a little more broth.  Add in the chopped ham and diced spinach and enjoy! 

YUM! 

No comments: