Monday, December 7, 2015

Gluten Free Dairy Free Nut Free Granola

***One of my children has become severely allergic to oats...so while I do make this for the rest of the family occasionally, I don’t do it very often.***

Do you like granola? 
Granola seems to be one of those things that people either love or hate. 

But listen, guys. This is not your store bought, dry, icky, boxed granola. 
This is yummy. It's basically like eating delicious oatmeal cookies for breakfast. 

That doesn't sound bad, right? Right. 
Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola
2 c. of coconut oil (you can use less, it will make the granola a little drier, depending on how much you use) 
1 1/2 c. honey 
10 c. of oats (I use old fashioned, or rolled, oats)
4 c. of oat flour (oats ground to flour in your blender)
2 tsp. cinnamon 

Your choice of add-ins. We use: 
raisins or craisins
chia seeds
unsweetened coconut flakes
hemp hearts*

(Before allergies we would always add almonds, walnuts, or sunflower seeds. Try those, if tolerated.) 

Preheat oven to 300*.  Heat oil and honey on stove until very hot, but do not boil. 

In a large bowl, mix the oats, oat flour, cinnamon, and any add-ins.  Pour hot oil and honey over flour/oat mixture and stir until well combined. 

Pour granola mixture into two 9 x 13 pans, and cook for 15-18 mins.  Allow to cool.  Serve with milk of your choice, or on top of (allergy safe) yogurt, with fruit, or even by itself! 

When completely cooled I store it in two gallon ziplock bags, in my pantry. I try to be careful to preserve the clumps when transferring it, since they are super yummy! 
*One more thing:  I remember some time ago, having a discussion with my sister about hemp hearts. We were discussing all the weird people that ate them and aren't they basically just drugs, anyway!?!?  ha ha ha 

Before long my boys were diagnosed with being allergic to all tree nuts and peanuts.  It was then I discovered that hemp hearts are not a drug (ha) and that they are quite nutritious and also a good nut substitute, as they tend to have a slightly nutty flavor.  I guess the moral is . . . never say never!





No comments: