Wednesday, June 3, 2020

SCD/AIP Quick Bread - Gluten, Grain, Nut, Dairy free

 After eating an extremely restricted diet for an incredibly long time there is not a lot of foods that I still crave.  

I don't crave sugar or candy.  I don't crave ice cream any more, even though me and ice cream have a long and happy history, ha!  I don't crave chips or popcorn or other junk food.  

I only crave one thing and I never could have anticipated it.  
Toast.  

I crave toast.  It's so odd. 

So, I've been on a long and dedicated journey of trying to make toast I can tolerate.  The only flour I can tolerate is coconut flour and it is very hard to make coconut flour crunchy . . .like nearly impossible.  

But this is what I have come up with and I am SO HAPPY!  They fill my need for bread and toast.  I make a huge batch and keep them in the freezer at all times.  When I am ready for one I pop it in the toaster, both defrosting it and giving it an extra crunch.  

I enjoy it dipped into my soup or with my homemade SCD/AIP jam.  It is heaven!  I have also made them more round and thick and then sliced in half for a chicken sandwich.  It's crazy how these taste SO GOOD to me.  You can also add a little honey and cinnamon to the batter, then top with berries and coconut cream, for an extra treat.

YUM! 

SCD/AIP Quick Bread - Gluten, Grain, Nut, Dairy Free 
1 cup coconut flour 
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. olive oil 
8 eggs 
dash of salt 
1 tsp. of honey (only if making for a dessert) 
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (only if making for a dessert) 

With a hand mixer, mix all ingredients until well combined.  Scoop large spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  With the back of the spoon spread the dough out into "bread" piece shape.  (See pic below.) If you want them thicker and rounder, like a biscuit, skip this step.  Cook at 350* for 20 mins, until slightly golden.  

YUMMY! 




No comments: